As much as I would love to dive into this crucial subject, it is necessary that I first introduce myself.
My name is Seun Sanusi. I grew up in Sagamu, where I lived with my parents for several years. My primary education was at Omolola Primary School, after which I enrolled at Remo Secondary School. However, I bagged my WAEC certificate at Regal College. For tertiary education, I attended universities in Nigeria, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
The point is, I have been in your shoes.
I know how it feels to have no electricity for days. I know what it feels like to school in Nigeria; I experienced social pressure too. I know the pain of failure and frustration. I understand and have encountered most of the harsh circumstances faced by youths in Nigeria. I know what it feels like to hope only to be met with disappointment. So, in case you were thinking that I am a rich man living in a mansion, you’re wrong! (even though I hope to be someday). I am just a youth like you, who has had his share of life’s challenges with a few useful tips that I want to share with you.
One of the main reasons I can stand here today to talk to you is because I was, and I am determined to be successful in life. And right now, I am committed (determined) to see that you become successful.
People often misunderstand determination for desperation, but there is a clear difference between being determined and being desperate. Desperation is a force of anxiety to achieve something at ‘any cost.’ Some people call it being smart, but that is very wrong. Actually, desperation can easily lead to failure. For instance, theft and money rituals are a result of desperation. The quest to have money, live large and flamboyant pushes people to prostitution, and others to fraudulent activities like ‘yahoo yahoo.’
However, determination, on the other hand, is not anxiety! It is simply making up your mind, making up your mind to achieve a set goal.
I want to encourage you today to make up your mind to be successful! Make up your mind to be great!
"The moment you admit you have failed is the moment you fail"
Determination is not for lazy people; it is hard work. When you are determined to pass the math class, you will study hard. Still, when you are desperate to pass Mathematics, you will carry ‘orijo’ (malpractice). Determination is hard work; it means you make up your mind to do what is legally right to pass the math exam. So it is a lot of work.
To determine to be successful means, starting from now, you will work hard. You will not stop working hard until you are successful in the right way or legally.
Let me tell you 3 secrets about determination that many people don’t understand:
- Determination does not mean it will be easy. You have to work hard. Life is generally not easy, and the current economic and social status is not helping. The rich are getting more prosperous, and the rich don’t want you to be rich because no one will be their house help, and no one will wash their cars if you are rich. You have to be determined to be successful; it’s not going to be easy, but it’s definitely worth it.
- Determination does not mean you will not fail. It means when you fail, you will get up again and continue on. The truth is that at some point in your life, you will feel like you have failed. But guess what, it is not a failure until you name it ‘failure.’ You failed because you called it a failure. But you can also call it something else – like an area of improvement. You can call it - ‘I will do it again.’The moment you admit you have failed is the moment you fail! When you feel like you have failed, don’t let failure keep you down; get up, and continue moving forward.
- If you are determined, you can achieve anything. If you are determined to be successful, nothing can stop you. Remember, it may not be easy; it does not mean you will not fail, but if you keep praying, working hard, and moving forward … sooner or later, you will make it. The current elected President of the United States of America contested three times for presidency; he failed two times, but he did not give up. Today, he is the elected President of America. Thomas Edison was the guy who commercialized the light bulb, and he failed 1000 times, some stories say he failed up to 10,000 times, but when they asked, he said, “I did not fail 1000 times, I found 1000 ways a light bulb will not work.” It is not a failure until you call it a failure!
Let me give you four tips on the determination
- Determination is hard work. It is not a joke to be determined; it takes hard work and dedication. Some of you might have had the experience when you were preparing for an exam. You study hard to pass your English or math or science. Same things happen in life, you have to determine to be successful, and it is hard work. Lazy people cannot be determined unless they first determine to stop being lazy. Determination will make you study hard in school, and determination will let you be diligent in your work; it will keep you focused. Yes, it is hard work. However, this is the good news; the hard work pays off. Some good examples are Dangote, probably the richest man in Nigeria, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s founder, or Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s owner. These people were determined to be successful, they worked hard, and today they are some of the most successful people in the world. You can be like them; be determined to work hard.
"To be determined, you have to surround yourself with people who are as determined as you are"
- Determination takes sacrifice – There is a saying that you cannot eat your cake and have it. To be successful in life, you have to sacrifice wasteful events and activities to allow valuable and beneficial things in your life. You may need to dedicate more time to studying than movies, and sacrifice having girlfriends or boyfriends to focus more on your studies, or sacrifice your pride and become humble.
Determination will choose your friends. Not everybody can be or will be your friend. To be determined, you have to surround yourself with people who are as determined as you are. If you want to pass your maths exam, you do not need to hang around a friend who does not care about excelling in the Math exam. If you’re going to be a Doctor, make friends with people who can help you achieve your dream. If your boyfriend is only interested in smooching and not studying, let him find another girl and surround yourself with friends who can help you. This is one of the reasons Holy Horn exist; if you need any career advice or you need to talk to somebody on how to be successful. Please go to the Holy Horn website and send us a message, and we will get back in touch with you. Surround yourself with people of like mind. Be determined.
- No dream, no determination. You cannot be determined for nothing; the only reason you start a race is that there is an end to the race. You must have a dream; your dream is what you want to become in life. I appeal to you that you do not make your dream about money. Yes, money is good, and everybody wants to be rich. Still, what happens after the money, you buy 19 cars and 47 houses and then what …. When you dream, dream big and be determined to see your dreams come true. Do not dream about just being a teacher but dream about building and owning a school as well. Do not dream about being only a doctor but dream about being the best doctor in the world… dream big! It may be hard for you to believe, but there is more to life than money, cars, and houses. Those are good things to have, but you can dream bigger! Be determined to dream big and be determined to see your dream come true
What should you be determined about
Well, this is really up to you. What do you want to be determined about? Nevertheless, let me advise you on my personal life experience. This may not apply to you; still, it works for me, and it’s working for millions of successful people all over the world.
1. Believe in God. I believe in God through his son Jesus Christ. Everything I have and accomplished is not by my power but through Christ Jesus;
2. Determine to be successful. This is your life; you can choose to be successful or not be successful. However, I am sure that it feels good to be successful; it’s up to you to be determined; and
3. When you are successful, determine to help somebody be successful. That is your legacy.